As ReddAPI is Shutting Down, Please Withdraw Your RDD From Coin Brief

Hey Everyone,

As some of you may know, Coin Brief has had a program that rewarded users with RDD whenever they created an account, and posted a comment (500 RDD per comment, but only once per day).

Unfortunately, as we use ReddAPI for this, we cannot continue it until we work out a new way to handle the funds.

I just posted an article about ReddAPI’s Shutdown, and warned users to withdraw their coins. Please, if you have RDD in your Coin Brief account, move them as soon as you can.

DynamicDK
Thanks for the heads up on Coin Brief api integration
As for an alternative method to use as a replacement you could start with https://github.com/reddcoin-project/reddsight-api

Gnasher said:

DynamicDK
Thanks for the heads up on Coin Brief location
As for an alternative method to investigate as a replacement you could start with https://github.com/reddcoin-project/reddsight-api

Thanks. We will check into that.

DynamicDK Good article!

Not speculative. As is! :slight_smile:

I would reply here, but I replied on the article. Nice job.

My thoughts on this are not going to be popular, but here we go …

I think that the shut down of ReddAPI highlights the biggest problem with Reddcoin as we know it: centralization. All of the power is possessed by one person … just as all of the power for the API was possessed by one person. And, just as ReddAPI was shut down when one person became disgruntled, Reddcoin could likewise be derailed should the one person with all of the power become similarly disgruntled. Bringing the Reddcoin API in-house will only serve to further centralize development of the coin and, in my humble opinion, further alienate the crypto-community. No one has, or is going to have, faith in an alt-coin that is wholly controlled by the whims of one person.

rehctelf said:

My thoughts on this are not going to be popular, but here we go …

I think that the shut down of ReddAPI highlights the biggest problem with Reddcoin as we know it: centralization. All of the power is possessed by one person … just as all of the power for the API was possessed by one person. And, just as ReddAPI was shut down when one person became disgruntled, Reddcoin could likewise be derailed should the one person with all of the power become similarly disgruntled. Bringing the Reddcoin API in-house will only serve to further centralize development of the coin and, in my humble opinion, further alienate the crypto-community. No one has, or is going to have, faith in an alt-coin that is wholly controlled by the whims of one person.

It doesnt further centralize reddcoin if a reddapi-like site or service is brought in house and open sourced. Someone has to code it, so yes for a short time it would be centralized while being built. However, if they do so with the intention of open sourcing it, its no longer centralized.

Some features of reddcoin are obviously going to be proprietary, if that scares people they should not use:

• Email
  • Firefox
  • Google Chrome
  • The Internet

Whatever reddcoin creates, that happens to be proprietary, (from what I can gather) will still remain decentralized in a way that makes it almost impossible to shut down. Decentralized in a way that not one single entity besides the person using it, holds the keys to their coin. THATS the difference.

Are we supposed to all add a snippet of code to the wallet exe, social x, redd-id, browser wallet? In order to make people feel better about the development also being decentralized? Because I personally am not a dev like that and Im not sure many are.

Even if they/we were coders, asking everyone to contribute a snippet of code so they feel better about it not being centralized while being built is a non starter.

So yes, while something is being built, it all hinges on the person or group building it. Yes it is centralized while being built. ReddApi however was from what I can see, production ready and closed source… And obviously not decentralized, yet the dev of reddapi chooses to complain about reddcoin. Thats ironic.

I just have a sneaking suspicion that those who complain about reddcoin fall in one of the following brackets:

• Arent actual fans of reddcoin
  • Is not taking the proper time to understand what is heppening
  • Does not understand the intention of Reddcoin devs or community supporting it
  • Are too invested in Reddcoin that they are allowing “what ifs” to scare the crap out of them

There is probably 200 coins right now that need devs, anyone who is scared right now or doesnt agree with Reddcoin’s devs have their choice of coins to create or take over and build exactly what they envision.

Reddcoin does not have a centralization problem. Anyone who takes the time to understand any of the papers or has ran a project themselves, would understand that.

“Having Devs” is NOT a centralization problem.

Most of us know, if we were to generalize what reddcoins next move is, is to be changetip times 100 and decentralized… To be the coin that noobs can use. To be the standard for a social currency, which really doesnt exist except for in the form of upvotes and likes. To allow social “transactions, purchases” which would be the next evolution once masses start to use it.

What would start out as tipping, would end up as a transactable currency used for purchases between people.

6 Likes

rehctelf Reddsight-API is open source and everyone can download the source code modify it launch her own API or just contribute to the open source repository. I think that invalidates your comment about api centralization. It’s in my opinion the best way to provide an API to reddcoin. More decentralization would require an even more active third-party party developer community around reddcoin, but that’s currently not the case. Most of the current third-party dev’s doesn’t seem interested in contributing to the open source base of reddcoin, that’s ok but if you want more open tools coming from outside the dev-team you need a stronger dev community around reddcoin. People can claim open source and decentralized development all the time but until somebody acts nothing will happen.

4 Likes

You two make good points regarding the open source nature of a new API … I hadn’t considered that. I guess, however, my point was that if Larry gets hit by a bus tomorrow, we’re all screwed.

rehctelf If Larry gets hit by a bus you can donate some Reddcoin to pay for his rehab.

1 Like

rehctelf I hear ya, and I think that just speaks further to the importance of Reddcoin LTD. The “hit by a bus” scenario is pretty common in IT, and I think the best thing to do is proper documentation & more developers (Reddcoin Academy, Reddcoin LTD)

3 Likes

What, laudney is going to get hit by a bus? Panic buy!!!

1 Like

I think that I should get some kind of award for being the first person to get voted down on reddcointalk … feels like reddit all over again. Interesting, though, that you can see who votes you up, but who votes you down is hidden.