Coin Clone / Mentor Accepted?

Hello guys, sorry if posting on the wrong subforum, I ask the moderators to move to where appropriate if that’s the case.

I’m looking to create a clone of Reddcoin, I don’t know if this is encouraged or discouraged at this point, but I would think it would make sense to want to see the technology being supported by other partners, and having the code being used by more people would work as “technological leverage”, so to speak.

What I’m looking for is basically what can be found in Youtube and the likes of “How to make your own Crypto”, but applied to Reddcoin. The main goal would be to make a cryptocurrency, of local nature, that would work in a similar way to Reddcoin, and maybe do a Github fork, if it would be the case. On the one hand, Reddcoin seems to be technologically better for the options I want, but on the other I see a lot of places where people complain about developer support. Is this some sort of phase that has passed over? Because I wouldn’t want to invest into a coin that is going to die from lack of technological support. But I’d sure be up for taking some mentorship on the subject.

Let me know your thoughts, and how should I go about cloning this coin. Best of all to everyone.

Hello. Perhaps I do not understand the issues, but why make a copy of the reddcoin? Instead, would it be better to contribute to it and make it evolve? In my opinion there is too much copy at the expense of innovation and developing a “coin” for what it should be is in my opinion the best solutions.

Allo. Je ne comprend peut-être pas bien les enjeux mais pourquoi faire une copie du reddcoin? À la place ne serait-il pas mieux d’y contribuer et de la faire évoluer? Selon moi il y a beaucoup trop de copie au détriment de l’innovation et développer un “coin” pour ce qu’il devrait être est à mon avis la meilleur des solutions

1 Like

KamaradCrypto said in Coin Clone / Mentor Accepted?:

why make a copy of the reddcoin

Because it’s the one that technologically points the way forward, IMO. Nevertheless, local versions of coins have a much better chance of generating traction by popular acceptance, and thus pull the whole tech apparatus upwards. Not the case, but you could easily see why a NYCCoin would have much more starting appeal to residents of NYC, just for the sake of branding. It’s just easier to market.

there is too much copy at the expense of innovation

I’ve been working with Open Source for 20+ years. Philosophically, the same would be true about any project, even Reddcoin.

From the Reddcoin 2.0.0 Release Notes:

This is a new major version release of Reddcoin, Previously, the original and sunsequent versions of Reddcoin were taken from a fork of Litecoin. With the release of Reddcoin V2.0.0, is now based directly from a fork Bitcoin. This allows for better source control and feature implementaion from upstream changes

So everybody’s using everybody’s code. Don’t see how this could weaken anything. If anything else, I’d be delighted everyone would be forking my code to make products. Hope I get there someday. In the meantime, best to all.

It is your opinion and it is respectable. However, I continue to believe that the cryptomonnaie MUST become a real alternative to the currency directed by our governments and that it is not by creating hundreds of thousands of “altcoins” that we’re going to achieve it one day. For a world-wide acceptance and general the replacing of the currency - “fiat” must be a safe and above all anonymous. Cordially

C’est ton opinion et elle est respectable. Je continue cependant à croire que la cryptomonnaie DOIT devenir une alternative réelle à la monnaie dirigée par nos gouvernements et que ce n’est pas en créant des centaines de milliers de “altcoins” que nous allons y parvenir un jour. Pour une acceptation mondiale et générale le remplacant de la monnaie “fiat” devra en être une qui soit sécuritaire et surtout anonyme. Cordialement

If i may ask, what in RDD do you not like ?
What makes you more comfortable to not invest your time in RDD and join the team, to be part of it and change things vs making a copy/fork of it ?

Username / Website said:

It is your opinion and it is respectable.

Thank you for setting up the civilised discussion, we wouldn’t go anywhere without it. Arguments must be made in full, and opinions allowed to shift as visions are broadened up. A hard environment weakens that.

However, I continue to believe that the cryptomonnaie MUST become a real alternative to the currency directed by our governments

Full agreement.

and that it is not by creating hundreds of thousands of “altcoins” that we’re going to achieve it one day.

Actually, I envision it as exactly that. We’re going to get there by having a BitCoin, a ReddCoin, a PotCoin and a GayCoin, as well as an AuntMarryShopCoin or a BronxCoin. It’s not a question of opinion, it’s just looking at what’s on the road ahead. If in the midst of the newfound freedom of financial tooling, one particular coin rises above others for a very broad use case, it’s just a question of who maintains control, corporate power or Open Source ethos.

Because I bet there will also be a VisaCoin :-\

There’s an alternative future which we’ve escaped from, and is not happening right now. In it, instead of having a plethora of text editors to choose from a savage ecosystem, you’re forced to use Microsoft Word, because your employer or your computer supplier made agreements to have “A Text Editor included in your computer”. This unlikely future was supposed to be happening now, and only due to the OSS alternatives making a continued effort to maintain the original engineering openness of systems, it has been derailed and replaced by an open ethos - that by the way, gave rise to crypto.

For a world-wide acceptance and general the replacing of the currency - “fiat” must be a safe and above all anonymous.

I don’t understand what this means, is it supposed to tie to the case in point? We weren’t opposing anything to fiat, and fiat IS anonymous, when used as cash - an enviable property that’s kept ‘money’ as an acceptable means of exchange throughout the years - something cryptos still strive for. I don’t see where this ties in.

Sorry to go a bit on a philosophical tirade there, I just saw some assumptions there and wanted to make sure my point was clear.

I’m not out making a RedCoin competitor. If anything, I’m using its technology to make a hobbyist’s coin, the same way I’d do a custom Emacs theme for a university. Translation: not a threat.

Cordially

Always, and appreciated. Best to all.