Database error

Well, database error message (I don’t remember the exact wording) and the wallet starts reindexing the blocks for the whole history with the zero balance. It is the second case like this, and as far as I understand the both cases were due to an emergent computer shutdown.

Vanamonde if the wallet software detects a problem with the wallet it will attempt to check all transactions. In order to do that, a rescan is performed, and unfortunately it does need to start at block zero. Your balance will correct itself as it reaches the last block

For your problem, computer shutdowns can get messy.
If you are using v2.0 of the wallet, when you close your wallet you should see a message something like “Do not shut down computer until this message disappears”
What is going on in the background and the reason for the message is the wallet is flushing the last bits of information to the relevant files.

The recommendation is close wallet first, then shutdown.

Now, generally speaking, my observation is that the v2.0 is more resilient to unscheduled shutdowns then v1.4.1
I have hadseveral power-outages where the computer running my wallet has lost power and the startup of the wallet has been ok. v2.0 wallets have a better chance to start cleanly

If the rescan finishes ok and your balance is correct, then I would suggest making a backup of your wallet .dat file and review your shutdown procedure. Could you also give example of ‘emergent’ shutdown.

“emergency” misspelled then auto-corrected ?

henry
a controlled shutdown or power interruption?

Well, the wallet happily restored, and the coins are safe and sound. I mean shutdowns due to unexpected power failures.
Username / Website said:

If the rescan finishes ok and your balance is correct, then I would suggest making a backup of your wallet .dat file and review your shutdown procedure.

Yes, thank you, now I’ve realized the importance of regular wallet backups, if you have activities on your wallet. Previously I believed one backup would be enough for ever.

Vanamonde Excellent to hear

Vanamonde - part of the testing team with focus on robustness :wink:

1 Like

henry My wallet is my castle))