My Reddcoin, My Reddcoin, why have you forsaken me?

OK a bit dramatic, and not intending to offend anyone, but what with all the recent challenges piling up how could we possibly turn this downturn into positive progression?

As you know, the initial mantra of Reddcoin was “The Social Currency”, however for most at this point, it probably couldn’t feel anymore removed than it is now.

That said, I for one have maintained that I will continue to develop using the Reddcoin blockchain. And a few other such as reddibrek, tralf and lionzeye also remain committed. And, there are others outside the core developers that I have also been speaking with who still maintain a solid interest.

The Reddcoin blockchain tech is solid. And sure there can be further tweaking and improvements (laudney alluded to POSv2), and generally i believe there is a longer term future for POSv as a more viable method to validate the blockchain (rather than running mining farms as it such an environmentally unfriendly activity and the question has to be asked does the cost of “mining” justify the outcome?).

I also believe there is more opportunity for anyone to develop using an altcoin as a base rather than any of the ‘establishment’. Personally, I value collaborative discussions with other developers even outside the scope of what we are specifically doing to enhance the underlying technology and to bring mutual benefit.

Lets rewind for a moment
Who can say that they were around during the VERY early inception of the WWW, circa 1990?
That is 25 years ago and I was just out of college.
Back then I used a dialup modem and have telnet access to the internet via a university access point.
To view pictures, usually meant searching with gopher and downloading via FTP and open with favorite image viewer.
Then along came the HTTP protocol.
That was an incredible boom period (and continues to be with new functionality added almost daily), but at the same time, it was seen as so disruptive that initially it scared many traditional company thinkers (Teleco’s). Who would have thought back then about the how the ‘internet’ would now be used.

For me, this is another one of those moments in history.
Blockchain technology has so much potential, even what you imagine not possible today could be possible in the future.

Cryptocurrency is bigger than the sum of anyone of us.

Roadmap??
So for the (promised??) features that everyone has been long holding their breath for, I question the value of introducing them at all in the current climate.
What does it actually create?
Who is going to use it?
And if by some miracle it could be delivered today, what would it do for Reddcoin?
My guess would be a juicy price pump, followed by an equally delectable price dump. The show would then be over once again to ridicule.

But what is needed?
At the front end… Users. And a much more simple interface of transacting.
In the current mode of social transacting with any crypto currency it almost takes a degree to be able to operate
And who wants to remember commands??
This aint no linux terminal and the mums, and dads and kids don’t need to understand
Honestly…

• /u/changetip 100 bits
    +/u/reddtipbot 100 RDD

And what am I doing?
I believe I now have enough information gathered to start pulling together a much more simple interface to perform social transactions.
This is NOT a blockchain solution and I don’t believe any change to the underlying structure is needed.
Modifying what we already have is not required (bugs and issues aside)
There is enough existing technology to start pulling this together. And I have already started building a mini reddcoin config on a private LAN and testnet to start testing ideas

I am not going to pretend to you
This is going to take effort, a LOT of effort, but, I think I have a viable and workable proposal to help address the problem of adoption.

Gnasher
A man with a plan! I like it as soon as we have a target to shoot for lets get to it.
Raising the funds for the development is going to take a bit of time. The sooner we have the Dev Wallet set up the sooner we can start funding it. I am going to be dedicating my staking rewards to the address as soon as we have it set up. It will build on what we all donate and allow us to move forward.
Making it secure and easy to use is great goal

Gnasher Sounds groovy…FYI, you may want to peek at the source code of boolberry coin, it looks like they have ~already successfully implemented the equivalent of ReddID~, minus the 365 day expire time / payment yearly to renew.

Whenever I have any free time I still remain committed myself to further development of my Wordpress Reddcoin tipping plugin. I think I’m going to swap out the ‘console’ that used to use ReddAPI for other features, since the browser wallet has come along very nicely and serves as a perfect replacement for that feature.

1 Like

dragonfrugal said:

Gnasher Sounds groovy…FYI, you may want to peek at the source code of boolberry coin, it looks like they have ~already successfully implemented the equivalent of ReddID~, minus the 365 day expire time / payment yearly to renew.

Whenever I have any free time I still remain committed myself to further development of my Wordpress Reddcoin tipping plugin. I think I’m going to swap out the ‘console’ that used to use ReddAPI for other features, since the browser wallet has come along very nicely and serves as a perfect replacement for that feature.

This sounds awesome. and it should qualify for funding as a development as well so get your name and project details up in a post for the community to vote for.

Redshift I’m swamped with return customers doing freelance web development at the moment, but whenever they all give me enough free time I’ll look into that as an option to support further development of my Wordpress app. Gotta keep the return biz happy and taken care of right now. Thanks for the idea though! :o)

Gnasher just tipped you 250k for this excellent post. Thank you!

dragonfrugal can you point me to some specific article? I had a quick look at their bitcointalk forum and landingpad website. Not much discussion about ID system other than creating an alias to an address. (I only had a cursory scan) i would have thought it a bigger deal if they had something revolutionary

Redd +1
Thank me if i can get this bird off the ground :slight_smile:

1 Like

Updates this week might be a bit sporatic, but will update when able. I am traveling for work.

As an interesting tit-bit for you all, i am meeting with a like minded individual to discuss some of my plans and thoughts.

Also, anyone who does any coding and might be interested in getting involved please PM me.
Now you dont need to be a gun coder, i am looking for all levels. From learners and above.

We are all learners :slight_smile:
We never stop learning.

3 Likes

Gnasher Check this section of this page out below…it shows that they seem to have already built a system that maps a short username to a coin address:
http://boolberry.com/howto.html#aliases
I imagine you could checkout the github codebase and re-use this for ReddID to save a ton of work time? Then I guess you could skip having to write that code and jump to implementing the ‘alias’ as ReddID instead, with username purchase, 365 day expire, etc.

1 Like

dragonfrugal
Got it,

So, in my mind, we need to create something that goes beyond just the context of an Alias.

I dont believe we necessarily need a quick turn around solution here.
What is needed is a solution that is not only relevant but also stands above our peers.

1 Like

Gnasher Sounds good…I realize you are aiming higher than just having a short alias, just pointing out it has been done regarding the ‘id’ part of thing in a cryptocurrency. Figured you might be curious to check it out for ideas from a coding aspect.

dragonfrugal A better model for on-blockchain redd-id is probably something like what Namecoin uses. The tricky part is not registering ID’s though, but verifying them, especially in an SPV client.

bigreddmachine Interesting, didn’t know about namecoin.

dragonfrugal
read my post here on https://www.reddcointalk.org/topic/623/bring-de-centralized-technology-and-our-current-centralized-reality-together

1 Like

Gnasher I agree with utilizing both centralized and decentralized services as well. For instance, an API is sorely needed for people to build great 3rd party apps into websites and mobile devices. It’s a shame ReddAPI is offline now.

dragonfrugal
Totally agree. More backend services are required
Thankfully there is no shortage of 3rd party libraries available, that could be forked and ported to support Reddcoin blockchain specifically.

That said, i am going to be brutally honest and tell you that there is noone focussed on this aspect currently.
Need more people to think that this is important enough to actually get involved at this level
bigreddmachine was working on Reddcore previously, which would have been the alternate solution
And I am sure with his blessing (and probably relief), others could take it over and help build this out.

3 Likes

Gnasher I would love to help, but at the moment (and has been this way for me since January) I am booked solid with return-only customers in my freelance web developing business. Even if you all got the Reddcoin dev funding wallet filled up and a project approved, I still wouldn’t have enough time in my schedule to help out (unless I dropped return business, which would not be a good idea). Hopefully that changes…maybe I’ll get rich off Ethereum soon, and can help out every week after quitting my job. :slight_smile: Seriously though, if I do have any significant free time in the future I would love to help with web-based apps (including API creation) as a 3rd party developer (managing my business currently is hard enough, so I could not commit to being an official dev).

2 Likes

dragonfrugal I know where you are coming from. RL must prevail. That said, your efforts with your wordpress plugin are much appreciated and already a part of the reddcoin eco-system. Just by maintaining that and spreading the word you are contributing significantly.

Of course I would love if you had some free cycles also :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gnasher :o) I’ll definitely keep you all in mind if my customer requests calm down significantly in the future. Thanks for the compliments, it was my pleasure creating the wordpress tipping plugin. I hope everyone finds it easy to put a RDD payments badge on their wordpress site with it.

1 Like