Reddcoin Staking via Ubuntu Mate on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B - November 2018

Reddcoin Staking - November 2018

This is my Tutorial on how to install Ubuntu Mate on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B in order to Stake Reddcoin. I just completed a recent install so these steps are now up to date!!!

If this tutorial helps you where others did not please consider tipping me some Reddcoin at the address below:

Rqd8xDv6oV9BYFaVrLdkWcR5JU6sPPZTKs

Here is my link at YouTube, explaining the steps involved in this process. The video is now outdated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajvdSHsr3no&feature=youtu.be

A. Original Source

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rCj2aHIbV4XxicU56i-7-3BIYbOKXXwn/view

https://steemit.com/reddcoin/romoto/build-and-compile-reddcoin-daemon-on-raspberry-pi-3-running-ubuntu-mate-16-04-2-lts

Note - These sources are outdated but helped me with figuring out my initial install.

B. Device

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B “No Exceptions”

I recommend a SD Card of 32 Gigs or higher. Once Reddcoin Wallet is fully installed it takes up a total of 13 Gigs.

C. Operating System

Ubuntu Mate – 60 minute download time (5 Gigs)

Do NOT use Rasbian Stretch Desktop or Rasbian Stretch Lite. I tried and wasted a lot of time!!!

https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/

Select “Download Ubuntu Mate”

On the next screen there will be five options. Please select the “Raspberry Pi” option.

Select “16.04.2 (Xenial)” or latest version.

Select the link with “.xz” to download straight to computer:

https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img.xz

Note:

The link most recently noted may not be the most current. So it is best to follow each step then to copy and paste.

D. Install Ubuntu Mate Image on to SD Card – 5 minute download of App, 5 minutes to update the SD Card, and 30 minutes to run Ubuntu OS on Raspberry Pi.

a. Use a Disk Image Utility – In my case I used DD Utility for Macbook (Windows)

https://www.thefanclub.co.za/how-to/dd-utility-write-and-backup-operating-system-img-and-iso-files-memory-card-or-disk

Scroll down to “Restore or write IMG or ISO files to memory card or disk”

Select, “Restore”

Select the Ubuntu “.IMG” you would like to restore/write to your memory card or disk.

Install Ubuntu Mate Disk Image onto SD Card.

Select your memory card from the next screen. No need to format the card.

Select Start – This takes about 5 minutes.

b. Place SD Card into Raspberry Pi 3 and start it up.

c. Once Ubuntu is up and running setup your Wifi. You have to enter username and password and reboot the system for the Wifi to actually work.

d. To prevent Ubuntu from going into “Sleep Mode,” go to System/Preferences/Look and Feel/Screensaver. At the bottom de-select “Activate screensaver…” and “Lock Screen when…” Next select, Power Management below. For “Actions” select “Never,” and for “Display” select “Never.”

This is avoid the computer from shutting down during installation. This step may be unnecessary but I use it. Especially, during installation and staking.

e. Do not use “Software Updater” to update Ubuntu. If you do, you will get a screen saying you do not have enough space and need to fix the boot. But don’t worry, the next section’s command prompts will provide the necessary updates for Ubuntu. Basically, this is “sudo apt-get update” and “sudo apt-get install”. Run these simple steps any time you feel the need to update your Ubuntu. Welcome to Linux! j/k

E. Open Terminal (Command Line Prompt)

The following dependencies must be uploaded in order to install the Reddcoin Wallet:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install git build-essential libqt4-dev libprotobuf-dev protobuf-compiler libtool autotools-dev autoconf libssl-dev libboost-all-dev wget pkg-config

sudo apt-get install libdb4.8-dev libdb4.8+±dev

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin

Note – Click “Enter” even though it is outdated

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install db4.8

sudo apt-get install libminiupnpc-dev

sudo apt-get install libqrencode-dev

Reboot

F. Create Swap File - 5 Minutes

a. Note –

i. Reddcoin Wallet is memory intensive and if this is not setup correctly it is going to cause your Pi to freeze or crash.

ii. The Swap file is to aid running this memory intensive process, however, I have read that using Swap long term can wear on your SD card.

iii. This is where my method differs than other sources.

iv. We will use 1 Gigabyte swap during Installation and during the Reddcoin Wallet Synch.

v. After that I reduce my swap to 0.1 Gigabyte. See Step J below for reducing Swap.

vi. I have tried using no swap and my Pi freezes upon launching the Reddcoin Wallet.

b. Create Swap File

sudo fallocate -l 1G /swapfile

sudo chmod 600 /swapfile

sudo mkswap /swapfile

sudo swapon /swapfile

echo ‘/swapfile none swap sw 0 0’ | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab

c. Swap Notes:
sudo swapon –show (Shows that it is on)
free –h (Show disk usage)
sudo swapoff –a (Turn swap off)
sudo swapon –a (Turns swap on)

G. Create Berkeley Database & Building the Reddcoin Wallet - 1-2 Hours

a. Make sure to copy each line into the Command Prompt for this section without closing.

b. Create Berkeley Database & Building the Reddcoin Wallet

wget http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.8.30.NC.tar.gz

tar xfvz db-4.8.30.NC.tar.gz

cd db-4.8.30.NC

cd build_unix

…/dist/configure --enable-cxx

Note – Make sure the above prompt only has two dots. “…/” Autocorrect made it 3 and made me waste a lot of freakin’ time.

make

sudo make install

cd

git clone https://github.com/joroob/reddcoin

cd reddcoin

export CPATH="/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.8/include"

export LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.8/lib"

./autogen.sh

./configure --disable-tests

make

H. Create Bootstrap - 10 Minutes

a. Note:

i. This bootstrap file provides the blockchain from the beginning of time (or 2013).

ii. In total it is about 7 Gigabytes and takes a few days to download.

iii. If your Pi starts to crash here it is due to the RAM.

iv. Return to Step F and check Swap settings or re-create the Swap file.

v. Make sure to copy each line into the Command Prompt.

vi. To check for the updated version of Bootstrap please visit: https://github.com/reddcoin-project/reddcoin/releases/

vii. For example I had to update wget link below from “v2.0.0.0” to “v.2.0.1.2”

b. Create Bootstrap

cd

mkdir .reddcoin

cd .reddcoin

wget https://github.com/reddcoin-project/reddcoin/releases/download/v2.0.1.2/bootstrap.dat.xz

xz -d bootstrap.dat.xz

sudo nano /etc/ld.so.conf.d/daemon-libs.conf

Copy and Paste the next line into the nano screen and follow steps on how to save it.

/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.8/lib/

Press CTRL+O to save the file and CTRL+X to exit. Now you have to enter the following command in order to reload the libraries system wide information:

sudo ldconfig

I. Launch Reddcoin Wallet - 2-7 days to sync depending on internet speed

a. Enter the following line below into the Command Line Prompt.

b. You need to use this code to launch Reddcoin Wallet every time, unless you go into the Option Menu of the Reddcoin Wallet and select the option where you can have Reddcoin Launch upon restarting the PI.

c. I do not recommend this until you have fully synced your Reddcoin Wallet.

$HOME/reddcoin/src/qt/reddcoin-qt

J. Reduce Swap File size (Optional) - 5 Minutes
a. Notes
i. You really cannot run Reddcoin Wallet without a Swap file.
ii. I decided to lower my swap file size to 0.1 Gigabyte and it works fine.
iii. The only reason for lowering the Swap file size was due to folks mentioning it will degrade your SD card over time.

b. Create New Swap File

Reboot computer and then access terminal. Then enter in the following command prompts

sudo swapoff –a

sudo nano /etc/ftstap

Delete the previous swap file in the nano screen that reads:

swapfile none swap sw 0 0

Press CTRL+O to save the file and CTRL+X to exit.

sudo fallocate -l 0.1G /swapfile

sudo chmod 600 /swapfile

sudo mkswap /swapfile

sudo swapon /swapfile

echo ‘/swapfile none swap sw 0 0’ | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab

Once complete, open the wallet:

$HOME/reddcoin/src/qt/reddcoin-qt

c. Swap Notes:
sudo swapon –show (Shows that it is on)
free –h (Show disk usage)
sudo swapoff –a (Turn swap off)
sudo swapon –a (Turns swap on)

K. Customization (Additional Tweaks)

a. Encrypt Wallet
i. Settings/Encrypt

b. Start Reddcoin on System Login
i. Settings/Main/
ii. Select “Start Reddcoin on System Login”

c. Backup
i. Setttings/Backup
ii. Perform this after any transaction for optimum safety.

L. Backup Wallet.dat on Raspberry Pi and Restore on Macbook
a. This section to be updated at a later date.

b. Overview:

It just so happened when I was about to earn a stake in coins that my Reddcoin Wallet decided to no longer sync. It said “No block sources available” and “Synchronizing with Network”. Basically, there is no workaround to get your wallet to sync other than to reinstall a fresh copy of the Reddcoin Wallet on your Raspberry Pi. Which is what resulted in me updating this post. But before you can reinstall a fresh copy you must backup your Reddcoin Wallet, locate the backup file, rename it to “Wallet.dat”, and replace this file on your Macbook (Windows) Reddcoin Wallet.

Once your coins are safely imported into your Mackbook (Windows) Wallet then you can wipe your SD Card clean and re-perform the installation process as noted above.

I HOPE THIS TUTORIAL HAS HELPED YOU !!!

Again, if this tutorial helps you where others did not please consider tipping me some Reddcoin at the address below. Thanks, again!

Rqd8xDv6oV9BYFaVrLdkWcR5JU6sPPZTKs

Here is my link at youtube, explaining the steps involved in this process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajvdSHsr3no&feature=youtu.be

damsal01

Sry Google Translate

I have restarted my Pi and then wanted to open the wallet now I get the following warning:

A serious error has occurred. Reddcoin can not continue to run stably and will be terminated.

EXCEPTION: N5boost12interprocess22interprocess_exceptionE
Permission denied
reddcoin in runaway exception

can you help me?

Unfortunately, I am not a technology guy. If your Reddcoin Wallet did not open up upon completing the install then i would reinstall from scratch.

If your Reddcoin Wallet was able to open upon completing the install, however, it crashes upon reboot, i suggest running the sudo swap steps again. The Wallet will crash if there is not enough memory allocated. Also, you must not run any other programs on the pi or it will cause the Reddcoin Wallet to crash. The pi should only be used for staking. For example, if i try to run a browser while the reddcoin wallet is open it will crash.

I hope this helps.

useruser:~$ sudo swapoff –a
[sudo] password for user:
swapoff: –a: swapoff failed: No such file or directory
useruser:~$ sudo nano /etc/ftstap
useruser:~$ sudo fallocate -l 0.1G /swapfile
fallocate: invalid length value specified
useruser:~$ sudo chmod 600 /swapfile
useruser:~$ sudo mkswap /swapfile
mkswap: error: /swapfile is mounted; will not make swapspace
useruser:~$ sudo swapon /swapfile
swapon: /swapfile: swapon failed: Device or resource busy