Reddwallet OS X issues

Hey guys, just downloaded the Reddwallet for OS X (1.4.0) - running it on Yosemite 10.10.1

So, is it just me, or is Reddwallet utterly broken and useless on OS X? I can’t perform any basic functions.

I cannot create a receiving address. I cannot add a contact address. I cannot encrypt the wallet. Everything just returns a “Failed” error. Yikes!

The wallet is a complete mess, and with this kind of functionality, (or lack thereof) is certain to dissuade the layman’s faith in Reddcoin…

No issues with the QT wallet. Been using that for months.

Any tips?

Thank you!

BigMapIdea ReddWallet for Mac OS X is indeed broken. The original author (hoppi) left before fixing various bugs. I then spent quite a bit of time going through his code and managed to fix most of them for Windows and Linux but no luck for Mac OS X. Please stick with Qt. Going forward, the most actively maintained wallets include Qt and the Electrum browser wallet.

I’m also going to open source ReddWallet in coming days.

5 Likes

laudney One opensources a technology to push awareness to differentiating solutions like the reddwallet!

nice move :wink:

1 Like

laudney nice, maybe someone else in the community will step up once it’s open sourced and help getting it solid on OS X!

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I had no idea. And on that note, who would?

Should the newcomer be expected to do their research after downloading?

If you want to put Reddcoin into fresh hands and grow the community, then jeez don’t slap a download for a broken product on your homepage and call it “The Full Reddcoin Experience.”

What kind of marketing is that?

1 Like

BigMapIdea Well I can for one say the wallet is awesome on windows. I don’t think it was planned to be left unfinished but the dev making it left. Alot in the crypto community have programming knowledge and someone may get it working.

iisurge But the point remains.

A newcomer hears about Reddcoin, hops onto the website and downloads the Mac client right off the homepage. He sees that it is indeed broken. He wonders if the Reddcoin software/community/currency has perhaps been abandoned.

The point of this thread is quite simple:

If the software can’t even function, why is it still available for download on the homepage?

Put some kind of disclaimer man!!! Piss-poor marketing. Just shit. A surefire way to discourage newcomers.

1 Like

BigMapIdea at least label it “Alpha” or “Beta”.

2 Likes

BigMapIdea said:

If you want to put Reddcoin into fresh hands and grow the community, then jeez don’t slap a download for a broken product on your homepage and call it “The Full Reddcoin Experience.”

What kind of marketing is that?

Sorry but i couldn’t resist LOL’ing at that. I’ve had a fair bit of trouble with the Social Wallet; currently my two windows boxes are unable to load it correctly. Haven’t tried the linux one, i compiled the QT version.

Not that i’m complaining mind you, I paid exactly 0 bucks for an otherwise great product. So complaining, i’m not.

In any event, Electrum is the way to go. Have you tried to sync a LTC wallet from scratch? O.o’

1 Like