State of the Redd-Nation :: Feb 29, 2016

Weekly Updates

Last Week

Happy Leap Year ReddHeads

So, I have now switched across to writing this weekly post and posting on Monday (for me). The premise to this is that the week really ends on Sunday in my world, and usually I get a few points on the board during the weekend (family activities permitting).

It also allows me to recap the week in full, and start the week with a summary of what we have achieved thus far.

So on the surface, it may appear to you that things are still moving slowly (I havent yet made a full release of the new wallet), and the Redd-ID system is now starting to come into discussion. Hopefully you can appreciate that such thoughts couldnt be further from the truth.

New Wallet - RC1 development update

Progress is continuing on the new wallet. Thanks particularly to Didi, who has gone and done remarkable things. In essense he has created a test environment for almost all scenarios with the following considered

• Windows XP Pro SP3 32bit
  • Windows Vista Home Basic 32bit
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
  • Windows 8.1 Home 64bit
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit
  • Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit
  • MacOS X Yosemite 10.10.1
  • Debian Wheezy

From that, we have 4 primary issues identified, and in the order of severity

1. transaction fee calculation needs checking
  2. Block nVersion validation missing from AcceptBlock()
  3. Enable staking after unlocking wallet
  4. Rejected stakes stay at the top of the recent transactions list

There is not too much work in resolving these, so should start to get back onto my activity list.

Keep the requests for testing coming in, if your technically minded but not sure where you can assist, you can help contribute by testing the core wallet.

Henry has also offered to put a bit of time into helping with documentation, which takes a load off thinking about this aspect :slight_smile:

Reddit & Twitter tipbot platform

As mentioned last week, I will be taking active control of the server.

I can confirm the transfer has now been completed and took place on Sunday with an unscheduled outage. Everything is now up and running. Keep on tipping.

Please let me know if you are having problems.

Redd-ID

For the Redd-ID system, there are 3 principle parts.

1. Reddcoind
  2. ReddID Service and resolver
  3. Client Interface

1. Reddcoind

With the new Reddcoin v2.0 wallet software, we are now able to write OP_RETURN data directly onto the blockchain. This allows for a maximum of 80bytes of payload in which to embed various ID related metadata (and some other functionality to be announced later). This will become the cornerstone for many other services into the future.

2. ReddID service and Resolver

As mentioned last week, the goal is to provide both a user level ID system and a networkID level and these will work hand in hand to provide a flexible naming and ID system within the network. Last week I shared a little of the output of the console as to some of the data being pushed. The service component will handle all the backend mapping of hashes and IDs and distributing to other service nodes. The service reads from, and writes to the blockchain necessary OP_RETURN data.

The resolver is a read-only lookup service providing fast resolution of requested IDs, and underlaying metadata. The goal here is that you can enter in a userid instead of reddcoin address, and the wallet will be given the associated address.

2. Client Interface

The new activity from this week has been bringing some of the functionality that was being done in a cli across to a more intuitive GUI. I feel the most logical place to do this is by resurrecting the ‘old’ browser wallet (Do you remember this from this time last year??) and embedding the ReddID functionality. Later this will also be included into the electrum wallet and the QT wallet

While we are discussing this, there were a few issues with the old browser wallet previously, so I would be interested to hear from anone who may still be running the old code. Suffice to say, as one of my many tasks, I am also in the process of putting to bed some of those outstanding issues and bring in the new functionality for the ID system.

Browser Wallet Eye Candy:

Start Screen

Create ID

In Closing

So starts a new week, I will be focusing more time on the listed QT wallet issues and hopefully have them sorted in time for the next update.

Keep on staking!

Powering ahead!

1 Like

Well, I want in again. I do wish I could contribute, but I’m much better at C# than C++…I haven’t done much in the way of creating programs that talk over the internet to each other though, which I will need to do at some point in the near future to develop some apps for work

I do like the idea of learning about Blockchain tech at a “closer-to-ground” level, as I’m better able to learn when I can get my hands dirty, so to speak…

I’ll have to wait until I get home and my new baby decides he’s tired enough to go to bed (celebrated his one month yesterday) and then load the test wallet and get on the testnet and start trying to break things (which I am really, really, REALLY, good at doing, LOL).

3 Likes

Hi bmp02050
Will pm you details on where to get wallet

Just noticed the reddheads website is missing a few of these “State Of the Redd-Nation” notices…

bmp02050 Yes it is. I didn’t start cross-posting them until recently.

From now on they will be posted to the site after John publishes them here.

I saw from reddibrek 's newsletter you all are going full steam ahead again. Great news! :slight_smile: