Unofficial bootstrap.dat thread (updated every two weeks... or three).

bsns as usual

Updated and added a 4shared link so people have some sort of choice.

On a side note, i’ve been completely away for some time now and it’s very likely that it’ll be like that from now on, so i’d like to thank reddibrek (and obviously everyone else involved) for the excellent newsletters!

I will still update this and run my ReddPi as a full node, of course. Also, when the time comes i’ll send the 2MM i pledged.

1 Like

Didi My pleasure.

The newsletters will keep coming ; please keep reading them.

If you keep your node up and running and update here from time to time then that is perfect.

Sincerity and dependability.

1 Like

Thanks Didi
It is the small things like this that help a lot.
I have some ideas around what you are doing with generating the bootstrap file
Let’s stay in touch.

1 Like

Thanks Gnasher and reddibrek, really appreciated.

Updated, next bootstrap file will be the 1 million block edition! :smiley:

1 Like

Didi
Sweet…

Perhaps you both can help each other ?

just saw in passing: https://github.com/reddcoin-project/reddcoin/issues/84

1 Like

erkan said:

Perhaps you both can help each other ?

just saw in passing: https://github.com/reddcoin-project/reddcoin/issues/84

I have never used github before but i supposie that i can learn the gist of it should it ease things. Who’s “in charge” of the repository? Should i simply make a commit or something? Would that be officially available at reddcoin.com?

On a sidenote, file updated. It contains more than one million blocks! :smiley: Weeee. Coincidentially enough it is also over a gigabyte now (zipped).

1 Like

Didi

It contains more than one million blocks!

yay !

Should i simply make a commit or something?

I wouldn’t add something in the above bug report, if I were you.
No one normally stumbles upon it. It’s a place for bugs/ideas and so on. I think the bootstrap link’s a bit misplaced there.

So, having the bootstrap file linked here is better, imho

I wouldn’t add something in the above bug report, if I were you.
No one normally stumbles upon it. It’s a place for bugs/ideas and so on. I think the bootstrap link’s a bit misplaced there.

So, having the bootstrap file linked here is better, imho

I also think along these lines, too. And what about having it at www.reddcoin.com as an optional/bundled download? Then again that should require a lot of trust, but that can be achieved somehow. But imagine having the option to download the wallet with the blockchain preloaded… with the average connection being about 20Mbps nowadays, most people would opt for the latter i think. Low end / legacy computers can take up to a day - or more - to sync… my Pi takes nearly a week.

Didi

And what about having it at www.reddcoin.com as an optional/bundled download?
Then again that should require a lot of trust

Personally, I don’t prefer that. I always go for the longer road (downloading from peers).
Of course, if a 3-letter state authority wants to get me, they can also prepare other ways (“special” peers, …)

But, I can imagine many people wanting the blockchain fast

for those interested, I have created a .torrent for the latest bootstrap using the .zip download from this thread. Please see this thread: https://www.reddcointalk.org/topic/606/updated-bootstrap/

3 Likes

Stoner19 Thanks, i’ll edit the thread and add the link to the torrent. :slight_smile:

What about hosting the bootstrap on BitTorrent. For example people do this with the Bitcoin blockchain e.g. magnet:?xt=urn:btih:F32D28674017C3380D13AF13CDAAAC907923D2D6&dn=http://BITCOINDATA.zip &ws=

I think bittorrent is a good way to distribute the bootstrap. It is decentralized (as long as enough nodes are seeding. The mechanism to determine trust needs to be determined, I have been looking at what Bitcoin does with Gitian builds where multiple people sign the finish file before commiting it to repo.

I think we could establish a technique something like this as a viable method.to distribute the bootstrap.

Any takers on helping with a project like this?

I’m happy to pitch in … yet another great ecosystem building block

Good job, thanks

Hello,
I downloaded bootstrap from Mega en with Torrent, checked the hash (with WinMD5Free) and neither match (with: MD5 checksum: 17d7d54bd5d599e9eb0df5dcd1176407)
How come?
greetz,
Ekim

First off, apologies for the delayed update. Since Redshift had a looong time cathing up i had to test it by myself and indeed, the gains are not that big so a monthly, or even bi-monthly update ought to suffice. It’s a bit disappointing to be honest, but the new wallet release should ease this problem a bit… or so i’m hoping.

EkimFlow I just double checked and i get the proper hash (17d7d54bd5d599e9eb0df5dcd1176407); maybe are you checking the MD5 of the uncompressed file? :slight_smile:

Anyway will update this ASAP, wallet is catching up and still a couple weeks to go… i haven’t forgotten about RDD in the least and still run two nodes 24/7, it’s only that my interest in crypto is in an all time low since i started i suppose. Ah well.

Magnets of what type? I heard about magnets using in building, in cargo delivery (for instance, I have recently worked with Dimetm and learned a lot of interesting electromagnet applications I didn’t know earlier). But in such a situation… Will be happy to clarify.