Wallet corrupt

Hello. So on my old laptop I managed to delete the wallet.dat file along with other stuff but I got it back using data recovery software. I copied the file on an usb stick then I installed reddcoin wallet on my new computer. When I replaced the wallet.dat file and tried to open the application it said “wallet.dat corrupt salvage failed”. I tried using -salvagewallet in the command line to start the wallet but after that the wallet just flashes on the screen and nothing happens afterwards… What can I do from now on?

Since you’re this far in, and if you’re in Windows, check your shadow copy for an older version of your wallet.

ka3o3 Right click the folder containing wallet.dat, and click Previous Versions

When that loads (and doesn’t say “No previous versions available”):

Select the latest “backup” in the list. Assuming you did not disable Shadow Copy (enabled by default on windows 7 Pro, and higher)

There are no previous versions available

ka3o3 repairwallet didn’t work either

ka3o3 Nope. And I haven’t tried either. I considered it a loss and a lesson and I moved on

razzz said in Wallet corrupt:

ka3o3 repairwallet didn’t work either

Repairwallet may not work in more cases than salvagewallet. I see you’ve already tried, though. Throw it in notepad and see what the header of the file looks like. screencap it maybe. Could have been overwritten with garbage.

Keep a backup, you’ll regain interest in it when you don’t expect it one day.

hey, i can recover most corrupt wallet.dat, they contain 100’s of addresses that you never see or use, i have written a script that searches through and retrieves the required data to recover, if your interested drop me a message, thanks

ukminer17 said in Wallet corrupt:

hey, i can recover most corrupt wallet.dat, they contain 100’s of addresses that you never see or use, i have written a script that searches through and retrieves the required data to recover, if your interested drop me a message, thanks

Because this could be a possible trap, why don’t you upload it to github or pastebin so the source can be inspected?

Otherwise someone may end up losing their coins. Let’s keep this transparent.

hey, i offer a service its not opensource, if the wallet is less than $1000 i would not take the job, the charge is 10% the remainder gets sent to the owner, if your interested drop me a message if not try pywallet or something similar its on github, rarely works, good luck

ukminer17 said in Wallet corrupt:

hey, i offer a service its not opensource, if the wallet is less than $1000 i would not take the job, the charge is 10% the remainder gets sent to the owner, if your interested drop me a message if not try pywallet or something similar its on github, rarely works, good luck

Anything that involves sending a wallet from a customer to someone else is against the rules and extremely shady.

The PMs can be turned off if it must be done.

If you’re tech-savvy, you can use https://github.com/lionzeye/reddcovery for an unencrypted wallet or https://github.com/lionzeye/pywallet for an encrypted wallet. If you’re confused as how to use them, get in touch.

1 Like

I’d also recommend to not use the disk the wallet was on if it’s a significant amount of money, to avoid overwriting it.

1 Like

lionzeye Ok, so I used reddcoveryplus but when I run cliimportkeys.bat I get this : error: You must set rpcpassword= in the configuration file. I created a text document and I put the line in it then i changed the name to reddcoin.conf. Also, startreddcoind.bat doesn’t show anything apart from “C:\Program Files\Reddcoin\daemon>reddcoind -server”. I must be doing something wrong