Wallet 2.0 on OS X using a lot of CPU/Memory

I’m not sure if this is expected, but the 2.0 wallet is requiring more resources than before. These screenshots were taken where the wallet is inactive, i.e. - not syncing with the blockchain.

alt text
alt text

Hi Big_Map_Idea
It is expected the new version would use more cpu/memory

I am assuming the wallet is staking?

One factor that does impact system performance is how much you are staking.
In some ways, similar to POW mining, the more you want to stake, the better performance equipment required.

If you are able, you could also compare mem/cpu used when staking is disabled (from the console “setgenerate false”)

I have been aware of the additional requirements, and as such reading through some of upstream commits and there are some improvements that can be made.

Presently I am doing some confirmations on ARM based processors which are the smallest configuration HW
CPU 1.2 GHz 64-/32-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53
Memory 1 GB LPDDR2 RAM at 900 MHz

Thanks Gnasher, yes it’s staking. Good points about similarities to POW mining, that didn’t cross my mind.

Honestly, most the dev stuff is beyond me, but I wanted to drop the note about performance since I get the sense there are fewer OS X users around here.

But I see this is all on your radar.

Thanks!

Big_Map_Idea I do try and cover all bases…

I do know, trying to stake 4billion coins on testnet makes my slowest machine grind to a steaming heap. I have some tests that I have done at the office with different machines and staking large amount hence my reference to the similarities.

OSx is probably under appreciated by so many (self included), but you guys are users, as much as anybody.
One of my goals is to make this as easy as possible for everyone,

Big_Map_Idea also consider how many connections you are running with. This is another factor which scales up performance overhead, particularly if accepting inbound connections with port forwarding through your router.

Gnasher said in Wallet 2.0 on OS X using a lot of CPU/Memory:

One of my goals is to make this as easy as possible for everyone,

Exactly my idea behind design :slight_smile:

Which reminds me, let me know if you want help with the web wallet. We could base it around the mobile UI I mocked up. As a start at least…

Hi, I see that the problem with the CPU usage was present in the past. I’ve just installed a Reddcoin wallet v.2, on my Macbook Air 2.2Ghz i7 and the CPU usage is 95%.
I also tried bootstrapping, but the sync doesn’t seem to have even started.
Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks,
Edoardo

edoardok Just wait it out. After blockchain sync it will stabilize.